BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- The Federal Reserve is ruling the market's news cycle this week, between speculation over who will take Ben Bernanke's desk in Washington and the possibility that the Fed will announce its plans to taper.
Larry Summers' withdrawal from the process on Sunday gives a seriously dovish bent to where the Fed is likely to end up. In other words, the fire hose of quantitative easy that investors have been drinking from for the last five years isn't likely to get shut off anytime soon, even if it does get turned down to a strong spray.
New frontrunner Janet Yellen has been less eager to pump the brakes -- and the market likes that.Let's face it: We can expect to see a lot of doublespeak and ambiguity in the Fed's words this week. I suspect that the Fed is focused less on tapering QE than it is on tapering investors' expectations. Plausible deniability is going to be the biggest tool in their arsenal, just like it was back in June. >>5 REITs to Call Bernanke's Bluff Meanwhile, that doesn't mean that investors should be sitting on their hands -- we're seeing some attractive trading opportunities popping up in individual names right now. Here's a technical look atfive stock trades to take this week. For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. >>5 Hated Earnings Stocks You Should Love So without further ado, let's take a look at five technical setups worth trading now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV