With Little Building Going On, Homeowners With Equity Can Sell Fast and High
Allen also sees the inventory issue much like Yun does -- as good news for home sellers, who don't have a lot of competition as the summer selling season draws to a close.
"Those looking to sell shouldn't hesitate to list their homes if they have equity," he says. "There's still a shortage of properties for sale in any markets, and new home building remains modest. Sellers should be able to get a favorable offer relatively quickly in most markets."
Allen notes the inventory for U.S. home sales remains fairly flat, and that the new supply of homes for sale stands at roughly 2.22 million, a low number for a healthy residential real estate market. He adds that while home building is coming back, the supply of housing for sale is not likely to grow much unless building grows by another 50% over current levels.
In this environment, it's tough to tell homebuyers to sit tight and wait for mortgage rates to drop. The likelihood is they won't.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV