US Airways Cuts Planned Phoenix-Maui Flight Due to Merger Delay
Anticipating the merger's approval, the carrier had loaded a planned Phoenix-Maui flight into its reservations system, but removed it following the Justice Department's decision to oppose the combination in court. Barring a settlement, the trial is set to begin Nov. 25 in U.S. District Court in Washington.
"Following a previously anticipated third quarter close for the merger, we intended to operate a third Phoenix-Maui flight for the holiday peak period," wrote Glenn Martin, director of future schedules, in an employee newsletter. The flight would have been enabled by a change in the airline's pilot contract, which was set to take effect once the merger was approved. The new contract would have broken the logjam that prohibits cross-use of crews and aircraft associated with the two pilot groups, east and west, following the 2005 merger of US Airways and America West.
The carrier intended "to use an east aircraft with PHX-based crews, which would have been allowed under the combined pilot contract effective on merger close," Martin said. "It would not be effective to crew this flight out of Charlotte or Philadelphia," the sites of pilot domiciles for east pilots. "Because we are already flying eight frequencies to Hawaii," the carrier does not have sufficient Phoenix-based aircraft to add another Maui-flight, he added.US Airways spokeswoman Michelle Mohr said the planned flight "illustrates some of the benefits to customers that the merger would provide."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV