In an effort to continue its commitment to sustainable paper procurement practices, Scholastic will extend to 2015 its goal to increase the use of recycled paper to 25%. The gradual increase in recycled content purchased is the result of a continued decrease in the average amount of recycled fiber used by the manufacturers of printing and writing recycled paper grades. Scholastic is working to find alternative ways to make up the additional recycled fiber. The company plans to take the following steps to achieve this goal:
- In mid-2012, Scholastic was able to increase the recycled content in some of its paper grades after years of negotiation with suppliers. The company will continue negotiating with paper suppliers to increase their recycled content.
- With limited supply of recycled material available to paper suppliers, Scholastic will label more recyclable products with the "Please Recycle" logo, encouraging customers to dispose of materials responsibly.
- Scholastic will continue to work with the Green Press Initiative to find ways to make more recycled paper available to publishers.
"We are very proud to announce that we achieved nearly double the goal for FSC-certified paper in 2012, and we remain committed to continuing work toward our goal for recycled paper," said Maureen O'Connell, Chief Financial Officer and Chief Administrative Officer of Scholastic. "As a company that serves young people with educational and entertaining books and learning materials, we remain committed to making sure our children also have a healthy environment in which to live and grow."
About ScholasticScholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books and a leader in educational technology and related services and children's media. Scholastic creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning materials and programs, magazines, multi-media and other products that help children learn both at school and at home. The Company distributes its products and services worldwide through a variety of channels, including school-based book clubs and book fairs, retail stores, schools, libraries, on-air, and online at www.scholastic.com.
SOURCE Scholastic Inc.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts