NEW YORK, Sept. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Scholastic Inc., the global children's publishing, education and media company, today announced that it has surpassed its company-wide goal of strengthening its sustainable paper procurement practices and increasing the percentage of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified paper purchased by the company.
In January of 2008, Scholastic announced goals for 2012 to increase the amount of FSC-certified paper purchased for its publications to 30% and the use of recycled paper to 25%, of which 75% would be post-consumer waste. Having made significant gains toward the FSC goal between 2008 and 2011, Scholastic increased its goal for 2012 from 30% to 35% of all paper purchased to be FSC-certified. In 2012, 68.2% of the paper purchased was FSC-certified -- nearly double the increased goal."Once again Scholastic had only themselves to outdo, and they succeeded," said Corey Brinkema, President of the Forest Stewardship Council U.S. "Now with more than 2/3 of their paper from FSC-certified sources, Scholastic continues to prove that forest stewardship and running a successful publishing enterprise can and should go hand in hand." "Scholastic continues to be a top environmental leader within the book industry," said Todd Pollak, Program Manager, Green Press Initiative. "The company has achieved meaningful increases in recycled and FSC paper, and reduced impacts on endangered forests. We commend their ongoing efforts to lead the publishing industry toward more sustainable paper options." In 2012, Scholastic purchased 75,837.1 tons of paper of which 51,743 tons, or 68.2%, was FSC-certified, up from 3.6% in 2007. In addition, 13,745 tons, or 18.2%, of the fiber used to produce the paper was recovered waste paper, up from 13.5% in 2007, and of that amount, 11,299 tons, or 82.2%, was produced from PCW fiber, up from 80.7% in 2007.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV