Trade-Ideas: Penn Virginia Corporation (PVA) Is Today's "Perilous Reversal" Stock
- PVA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $20.9 million.
- PVA has traded 310,144 shares today.
- PVA is down 3.2% today.
- PVA was up 6.2% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PVA with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PVA NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on PVA: Penn Virginia Corporation, an independent oil and gas company, engages in the exploration and development of natural gas and oil properties in various onshore regions of the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.6%. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Penn Virginia Corporation a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Penn Virginia Corporation has been 1.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Penn Virginia has a market cap of $370.1 million and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.67 and a short float of 17.6% with 2.76 days to cover. Shares are up 28.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Penn Virginia Corporation as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 351.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$5.64 million to -$25.44 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.28 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, PVA maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.80, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, PENN VIRGINIA CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The share price of PENN VIRGINIA CORP has not done very well: it is down 20.97% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- PENN VIRGINIA CORP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PENN VIRGINIA CORP continued to lose money by earning -$2.14 versus -$2.91 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.67 versus -$2.14).
- You can view the full Penn Virginia Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.