CLERMONT, Ky., Sept. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Jim Beam American Stillhouse announced today that it has received LEED® Gold certification. Established by the U.S. Green Building Council, LEED is the nation's preeminent program for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings. The Jim Beam American Stillhouse is situated on the grounds of Jim Beam's flagship distillery in Clermont, Ky., and demonstrates leadership, innovation, environmental stewardship and social responsibility in all of its practices.
"As a company, Beam is committed to sustainable operating practices that minimize our carbon footprint," said Steve Lutes, VP Technical Services. "We work, company-wide, to raise the bar for sustainability efforts and are proud of the strides we have made towards positively impacting the environment. In addition to building one of the best visitor experiences within the industry, we did so in an environmentally friendly manner."
To spearhead these efforts, Beam established a dedicated Environmental Management Committee to oversee improvement of its systems and processes worldwide. After more than two centuries in the business that largely relies on the land, especially Kentucky water to craft its top-selling whiskey, Beam takes a meticulous approach to protect the environment. As such, Beam focuses on a handful of sustainability tenets including: water preservation, energy conservation and recycling.
"The Jim Beam American Stillhouse's LEED certification demonstrates the company's dedication to green building leadership," said Rick Fedrizzi, President, CEO & Founding Chair, U.S. Green Building Council. "USGBC's mission challenges businesses to move faster and reach further than ever before, and Beam serves as an exemplary example with just how much we can accomplish to preserve the environment."The LEED Gold certification was based on several green design and construction features that directly impact the distillery grounds, such as energy use, lighting, water and material use as well as incorporating a variety of other sustainable strategies. As part of its environmental commitment, the construction of the Jim Beam American Stillhouse:
- Used 25 percent recycled materials;
- Achieves 50 percent annual water savings due to the low-flow fixtures, faucets and flush valves in the American Stillhouse;
- Has 100 percent controlled lighting in its facilities to save energy; and
- Diverted 79 percent of its construction waste from landfills.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV