One biopharmaceutical player that's rapidly moving within range of triggering a major breakout trade is GTx (GTXI), which is dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of small molecules that selectively target hormone pathways to treat cancer, osteoporosis and bone loss, muscle loss and other serious medical condition. This stock has been hammered by the bears so far in 2013, with shares off sharply by 53%.
If you look at the chart for GTx, you'll notice that this stock recently gapped down sharply from over $4 to below $1.50 a share with heavy downside volume. Following that gap down, shares of GTXI have rebounded sharply and started to uptrend, with the stock moving higher from its low of $1.31 to its recent high of $1.96 a share. During that move, shares of GTXI have been consistently making higher lows and higher highs, which is bullish technical price action. That move has now pushed shares of GTXI within range of triggering a major breakout trade.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in GTXI if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance at $1.96 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above that level with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 1.35 million shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then GTXI will set up to re-fill some of its previous gap down zone from August that started just above $4 a share. Some possible upside targets if GTXI gets into that gap with volume are $2.50 to $3 a share, or possibly even $3.50 a share. Traders can look to buy GTXI off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some key near-term support at $1.50 a share. One can also buy GTXI off strength once it takes out $1.96 a share with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV