"Jean never hesitates to help out when needed, and is exceptionally detailed and thorough with his cleaning, making him a key player in helping to prevent the spread of HAIs in our facility," said Doug Rothermel, director, environmental services, St. Joseph's Hospital. "He is also a leader among his peers and takes seriously his role in training new environmental services department team members. It is a pleasure to see Jean's achievements acknowledged by AHE and Kimberly-Clark, as he truly embodies the spirit of the Heart of Healthcare campaign."
- Annette Dejesus, housekeeping aide supervisor, James J. Peters VA Medical Center, Bronx, N.Y.
- Tammi Ulrey, environmental services technician, Skiff Medical Center, Newton, Iowa
- Rosemarie Shifflett, environmental services attendant, Fairfield Medical Center, Lancaster, Ohio
"We are excited to again team up with the Association for the Healthcare Environment to host the Heart of Healthcare Awards for the environmental services professionals who embrace the fundamentals of the program," said Richard Marriott, healthcare segment leader, Kimberly-Clark Professional. "Our hope is that the accomplishments of those recognized will inspire others to uphold infection prevention practices as a top priority, and that the healthcare community will have a deeper understanding, connection and appreciation for the role environmental services play in maintaining patient safety and satisfaction."
The nomination process for the 2013 Heart of Healthcare Awards will open in early 2014 at www.ahe.org. Nominees do not need to be AHE members to be nominated for the award.Heart of Healthcare Campaign ToolkitAHE and Kimberly-Clark are working together to provide environmental services professionals with the necessary tools for their continued education, training and recognition to help their facilities support their goals of reducing HAIs. The Heart of Healthcare campaign education and recognition tools provide vital support for best practices in cleaning and disinfecting the environment. To address the ever changing hospital environment, AHE and Kimberly-Clark added new tools, which are available through the AHE website. Most can be customized to include the logo of the healthcare facility utilizing the materials. The following materials are included:
- Cleaning and disinfecting guide, in English and in Spanish
- In-room cleaning checklist
- Patient discharge card
- Employee recognition certificate
- Checklist with handy references to cleaning and disinfecting patient rooms
- Environmental services recognition posters for public display
- Room calling cards indicating a patient room has been cleaned