Cabot Corporation’s (NYSE: CBT) Lumira ® aerogel has been utilized in the window system for the Bavarian Center for Applied Energy Research’s (ZAE Bayern) recently opened Energy Efficiency Center (EEC). The highly innovative research and demonstration building utilizes a variety of new energy efficiency technologies including Cabot aerogel. Cabot’s material was used within the OKAGEL insulating glass system from OKALUX GmbH as well as Scobalit AG’s SCOBATHERM ® translucent, highly insulating panels for roofs and walls.
The objective of the EEC project was to use energy-efficient technology in the building construction, in conjunction with an intelligent building design that focused on energy yield. The building is optimized to deliver superior energy conservation, sustainability and comfort. The EEC building serves as the ZAE Bayern research and testing facility as well as a modern energy information center that is open to the public and showcases exhibits, hands on energy experiments and more.
The two-story building is covered by a translucent roof membrane that serves as weather protection as well as an outer layer of the multi-layer structured roof. In part of the inner insulating layer, the EEC utilizes SCOBATHERM panels consisting of glass-fiber reinforced polyester that are filled with Cabot Lumira aerogel in the ceiling of the rooms. The translucent ceiling design enables optimal daylight conditions for the offices, and Cabot’s aerogel delivers the highest thermal performance and excellent light diffusion compared to typically used translucent systems. This combination enables the SCOBATHERM panels to redirect the light from the roof membrane deep into the offices while minimizing heat loss.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV