But at the same time, without effective supply chains and efficient management, all that hard, innovative work can be undone quite quickly -- especially when earnings season rolls around.
Apple still has Jonathan Ive, who is a creative genius and who will keep Apple's innovative edge the same way that Cook will keep the company's grip on tight efficiency in order.
Jobs had described Ive as his "spiritual partner" at Apple and many times took his ideas and ran with them -- something that drove Ive crazy. That was made clear in Walter Isaacson's biography on Jobs. I'm not saying that to take away anything from Jobs, I'm just saying that Ive is a talented man, who will keep packing the lightning in the bottle, so to say.
Apple is fine. Its products are great, the cash keeps pouring in and new products are just around the corner. It didn't bow to investors' wishes and take the cheap way out with its products.Instead, it continues to produce premium products, with premium price tags. Eventually, the market share will come and so will new products. More tech companies will start copying those, too, but Apple just needs some time. Have patience and you will be rewarded. At the time of publication, the author was long Apple. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV