Thousands Protest Planned Canadian Mine In Romania
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) â¿¿ Thousands marched through Bucharest to protest a controversial plan by a Canadian company to build Europe's biggest gold mine in Romania.
Protesters on Sunday criticized the use of cyanide in the extraction process and accused authorities of trying to sell off Romania's assets too cheaply.
The mine has drawn widespread protests in recent weeks. Supporters say the mine would bring jobs and investment to a deprived area.
Last week, Prime Minister Victor Ponta predicted Parliament would reject plans for the Canadian-run mine, sending shares in the company, Gabriel Resources, plummeting by around 50 percent.Ponta went down Sunday into the Rosia Montana mine where 33 miners had been striking this week and persuaded them to end their protest, promising he would send a parliamentary committee to the area.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV