Our 401(k)s Show We're Not Taking Investor Confidence Seriously
That's a shame, as even a 1% hike in your monthly 401(k) savings plan can add up to $330 per month in your retiree "paycheck" down the road.
This figures come from Fidelity Investments, which is chiding Americans these days about not saving enough for retirement even though eight out of 10 investors believe the Standard & Poor's 500 Index will rise by more than 100 points by the end of the year.
There is some progress for Americans with their retirement savings. According to Fidelity, 401(k) plan balances rose 11% from the third quarter or 2012 to the third quarter of this year to a nationwide average of $80,600. And if you have been working for a company that offered 401(k) plans for the past 10 years, that average balance number leaps to $211,800 -- up 19% from a year ago.But in the latest in a series of quarterly reports from Fidelity on U.S. workers and their 401(k) plans, company analysts say Americans are costing themselves income in retirement by being stingy on their retirement plan contributions now. "While it's a good sign that some workers are increasing their savings for retirement, many younger workers -- especially Millennials -- aren't saving at the recommended 10% to 15% of their income," says James MacDonald, president of workplace investing at Fidelity. "It is critical young workers realize that even the smallest increase to their monthly savings today or just 1% -- whether in a 401(k) or an IRA -- could have a meaningful impact on their retirement paycheck down the road." Here is how that translates into real dollars:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV