Not only has the company been burdened with chronic struggles in execution, but VeriFone -- which recently ousted CEO Doug Bergeron -- has seen its market share erode amid threats from privately held Square and Intuit (INTU), among others.
It goes without saying that all of these concerns have been reflected in the stock price, which at one point was down close to 50% on the year, effectively ending Bergeron's tenure as CEO. Believing the company had finally "paid its dues," retail investors are ready to believe in this story again, citing (among other things) VeriFone's strong third-quarter results. But is it worth the reward of the 47% jump in the stock price since the middle of June?
Despite the third-quarter performance, which included a revenue beat of at least 5% (according to some estimates), I don't think retail investors should get carried away here. I'm not suggesting the sequential improvement was not meaningful. I just don't believe this company, which is still without a permanent CEO, has sufficiently addressed its lack of competitive leverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV