BIRMINGHAM, Ala., Sept. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 30 BBVA Compass volunteers came together Thursday afternoon with former NBA players at P.D. Jackson-Olin High School in Birmingham, Ala., to discuss the importance of education, financial literacy and community involvement with nearly 900 students.
The visit marked the 19 th BBVA Compass NBA Cares event, a service program sponsored by the bank and the NBA to help students across the bank's footprint understand the difference that education, fitness and money management can make in their lives. The event, which took place during a week commemorating Birmingham's role in the civil rights movement, also provided an opportunity to highlight the importance of community involvement and the vital role young people can play in society.
"Our city's celebration is a reminder that past efforts have shaped our communities into what they are today," said Rosilyn Houston, BBVA Compass regional retail executive. "We want to remind young people of this and inspire them to play an active role in improving our communities for future generations."Houston joined Birmingham Civil Rights Institute Director Ahmed Ward, Birmingham City Councilor James "Jay" Roberson and NBA luminaries Robert Horry and Bob Lanier on an interactive leadership panel that encouraged students to stand up for causes that affect local communities. Also featured in the panel was the Rev. Gwendolyn Webb, a Jackson-Olin alum and participant in the Children's Crusade marches of 1963, when Birmingham students took to the streets for several days to protest against segregation. "As someone who was part of the civil rights movement and a graduate of this school, it's great to see young people wanting to build character," said Webb.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV