NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Covisint set out on a road show Thursday, Sept. 12, to discuss with potential investors its public offering, which parent Compuware (CPWR) hopes will raise at least $64 million.
Compuware's cloud software business said on Wednesday that it will offer 6.4 million shares of common stock within an expected range of $9 to $11 a share, raising between $57.6 million and $70.4 million. It has applied to be listed on the Nasdaq under the symbol COVS.
Proceeds will be used for general corporate purposes, to back growth and product development, and to fund capital expenditures and potential acquisitions.
News of an initial public offering emerged on Jan. 25, when Compuware announced it had rejected an unsolicited bid by activist investment firm Elliot Management."They believe it's an asset that's not being properly valued under Compuware," Susquehanna Financial Group LLP analyst Derrick Wood said of Covisint. Going public, he added, is "attractive to investors who can't really invest as part of Compuware." At a midpoint price of $10 a share, Covisint will have a market capitalization of slightly more than $364 million. Detroit-based Compuware, which presently owns all of the division, will remain a majority shareholder with 82.4% ownership following the IPO by virtue of owning a little more than 30 million shares. With an enterprise value-to-revenue valuation of about 2.5, Covisint is priced at a discount, Wood explained, noting that other similarly sized cloud companies are trading at about 3.5 to 4 times. "It's a niche market that hasn't really been formed yet, so there will definitely be a lot of education around who they compete against," he said, adding that the IPO price could increase slightly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV