STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich., Sept. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- General Dynamics Land Systems - Force Protection Europe has received a $36.3 million (€23 million) contract for an additional 24 Foxhound light tactical blast-protected vehicles from the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD). The order will expand the MoD's fleet to 400 vehicles. General Dynamics Land Systems, parent company of General Dynamics Land Systems - Force Protection Europe, is a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD).
Production of the first Foxhound vehicles began in 2011 and since June 2012 the vehicles have been deployed in Afghanistan for use by British troops operating in mentoring and partnering roles with the Afghan National Security Forces. Production was extended in 2012 for an additional 150 vehicles, helping to preserve the jobs created across the UK in fabrication, manufacture and support.
Foxhound vehicles provide enhanced mobility and blast survivability to troops operating in urban environments. The Foxhound is a new design for a light tactical (4x4) highly mine- and blast-protected vehicle, integrating V-hull blast-protection technology with a modular demountable protected crew pod. The vehicle's low weight and tight turning circle enable it to operate effectively in urban environments where the infrastructure cannot support heavier, larger vehicles. The V-hull runs the length of the vehicle, providing mine and blast protection for the engine and driveline components packaged within its protective envelope. The crew pod rests on the V-hull and is designed to be able to tilt, enabling routine repair and maintenance, or to be removed and replaced quickly by an alternative mission module.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV