Sterling ($28.40) has a buy rating according to ValuEngine and a one-year price target at $30.11, just below the deal price. The daily chart profile is positive with the stock well above its 50-day SMA at $26.05. Monthly and quarterly value levels are $25.23 and $24.21 with a semiannual risky level, now a pivot at $28.26.
The daily chart below shows some funky price action going into Aug. 30 and also in the days that followed. The deal was priced off the close of Aug. 30 and the stock was declining going into that day and bottomed that day with a low of $24.02 and close at $24.20. Note the spiky trading pattern that began with a high of $29.76 on Sept. 9, three days before the deal was announced.
Chart Courtesy of Thomson/ReutersFollow @Suttmeier This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV