Dunes Save Boardwalk From Fire Not Flood This Time
By WAYNE PARRY
SEASIDE PARK, N.J. (AP) â¿¿ Despite its destruction, Superstorm Sandy proved one thing at the Jersey shore: Sand dunes save boardwalks from deadly storms.
On Thursday, as a raging fire erupted on a newly rebuilt boardwalk in two shore resort towns, some makeshift sand dunes saved part of it â¿¿ from fire this time.
The fire that broke out near a frozen custard stand in Seaside Park rapidly spread north into neighboring Seaside Heights, the former home of MTV's "Jersey Shore" reality show. With a stiff wind whipping the flames and driving them from block to block, the rest of the iconic boardwalk was in danger of going up in flames.So Seaside Heights officials tried a Hail Mary: They ripped out a 25-foot swath of the boardwalk they had just finished rebuilding five months earlier. And they filled the void with giant sand piles â¿¿ makeshift dunes designed to halt the spreads of flames and save the northern portion of the boardwalk upon which the community relied for its financial survival. It worked. In much the same way as forest fire crews rip out vegetation to deprive an advancing fire of fuel, the boardwalk gambit succeeded in halting the fire's extension any farther into Seaside Heights. "That appears to have done the trick," Seaside Park Mayor Robert Matthies said. Firefighters continued to pour water on the hot spots of the smoky, smoldering ruins early Friday. They were aided by a final soaking of heavy rain as a storm moved off the coast. Al Della Fave, a spokesman for the Ocean County prosecutor's office, said there was no immediate indication of whether the fire appeared to be suspicious or accidental. The first priority was putting it out and securing the scene, he said. A detailed investigation was due to get underway on Friday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV