You can't blame Apple for pumping out newer and hopefully improved versions of its ubiquitous smartphone -- a standard setter if there ever was one in the history of great U.S. brands.
The stakes are high in that market, even as Apple seems to be slipping a bit.
New data from Framingham, Mass.-based IDC shows that smartphone makers shipped 236 million devices in the second quarter of 2013, up from 156 million units in the second quarter of last year. That's a 51% jump in total global shipments.But Apple's share of those unit shipments is in decline, just as Android and Windows-based phones "managed slight increases" on a year-to-year basis, IDC says. according to BI Intelligence. The site says smartphone manufacturers need mobile phone customers to keep churning into new devices, but now those consumers are resisting. New data from American Express (AXP) via its Spending and Savings Tracker confirms that trend. According to data provided by American Express, consumers are not jumping to upgrade to the latest smartphones, despite seemingly constant technology launches.
- More than half of respondents (53%) say it's not important to them to have the newest technology when it hits the market.
- Fewer than half of smartphone users have upgraded their phones, and a mere 8% of consumers say they upgrade right when a new model -- such as this week's new iPhone -- comes out.
- 35% of consumers who upgrade their phones wait until their contract is up to jump to the latest model.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV