Not Every Office Lets Fans Fly Their Team Colors
"Today, fans can range from fair-weather to those that 'bleed' their team colors," Bissot says. "Just like the involvement in certain associations and groups can help build immediate trust and rapport with a client, picking the wrong team can lead to distrust, aversion and lost business."
In today's workplace, Bissot says it is a dangerous game to try to determine the level of passion and commitment of a fan.
"Ultimately, it is simply not worth the risk. Employees should look for clues like any logos in a client's office or use general conversation about sports to find out more before ever bringing their team, or sports in general, into the picture."
On the flip side, John Greene, president of CSB Training and chief operating officer of Collaborative Consulting, says that once you know your clients well, supporting the right team -- or having a friendly rivalry -- could earn you a few football season brownie points.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV