It wasn't a popular call. But although carrier spending had not fully rebounded, management still figured out ways to get revenue and free-cash-flow growth.
To that end, given Ciena's industry-leading position in optical telecommunications equipment, I felt there was (at least) 15% upside to be had in the stock regardless of whether the likes of Verizon (VZ) and AT&T (T) decided to spend.
Not to mention that Ciena was coming off consecutive quarters in which the company beat estimates and raised guidance. Since the June article, the stock has soared 22%, including a 52-week high of $24.61. And following yet another beat-and-raise quarter, there's no question that more gains are on the way.On many levels, the Ciena's turnaround is pretty remarkable. With the recent moves made by Alcatel-Lucent (ALU), questions were raised as to whether Ciena, which also competes with bigger rivals like Cisco (CSCO) and Juniper (JNPR), could ever survive the weak carrier-spending environment. softer-than-expected guidance . So truth be told, although I was in the glass-half-full camp in the telecom sector, there were also reasons for caution heading into Ciena's report. Essentially, this performance, which also includes a 8% year-over-year improvement in non-GAAP gross margin, validates what I've been saying about the credibility that Ciena has earned. The fear of Cisco is always a concern, which is what has kept investors at bay.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV