Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB) has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index for the fifth consecutive year and the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for a fourth consecutive year. These independent rankings recognize Campbell's leadership in supporting long-term shareowner value while creating a more sustainable environment and making a measurable difference in its communities.
“Campbell’s ongoing inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices is evidence that we are making progress in our Corporate Social Responsibility efforts," said Dave Stangis, Campbell’s Vice President-Public Affairs and Corporate Responsibility. "We seek to understand the impact of our products from farm to fork, and look at every step in our operations and every personal interaction as an opportunity to advance our performance while benefitting consumers and society.”
The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) recognized Campbell’s progress in several areas including: Health & Nutrition, Operational Eco-Efficiency, Environmental Reporting, Social Reporting and more. Key results from the past year include:
- Saving more than 400 million gallons of water and reducing greenhouse gas emissions by more than 83,000 metric tonnes of CO 2, the equivalent to emissions from 17,000 cars. This was achieved via capital investments in energy and water conservation projects and a program to develop and construct renewable energy projects;
- Reducing the amount of waste sent to landfills by almost 7 percent and achieving an overall 85 percent recycle rate;
- Distributing more than $40 million globally in product donations, employee giving and financial contributions to non-profit organizations and collecting a record 70.7 million pounds of food during the annual Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive™;
- Logging more than 22,000 volunteer hours in the U.S. and Canada in local communities;
- Removing more than 11,000 trucks from the road through increased intermodal shipping, resulting in a CO 2 emissions savings of more than 13,000 tonnes;
- Saving more than 1.9 million pounds of plastic and more than $1.6 million through the lightweighting of plastic bottles used to package V8 beverages; and
- Applying production expertise and uniting with local farmers and a non-profit to use blemished produce to create Just Peachy salsa, which helped to fund nine area hunger relief programs.
Launched in 1999, the DJSI were the first global indices to track the financial performance of leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide. In selecting the top performers in each business sector, the DJSI assess companies on several general and industry-specific topics. These include corporate governance, environmental policy, climate strategy, human capital development and labor practices.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts