Global branded play leader Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) today announced new environmental sustainability goals which it aims to achieve by end of 2020. The company, which creates, designs, and manufactures brands with global appeal including MY LITTLE PONY, MONOPOLY and PLAY-DOH, plans to further reduce the environmental impact of its global operations by minimizing waste, improving energy efficiency, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and conserving water at its owned and operated facilities. These new 2020 goals build on commitments the company set in 2008 that it achieved by end of 2012.
“Hasbro has long been committed to playing responsibly and driving continual improvement in all facets of its business, including reducing the company’s use of natural resources,” said Brian Goldner, Hasbro’s President and CEO. “We are proud of our sustainability progress, and our new 2020 goals help to keep our global workforce aligned and engaged on this important issue.”
Hasbro’s 2020 sustainability goals include:
- Reducing waste to landfill: By end of 2020, reduce waste to landfill at owned/operated facilities by 50 percent from 2012 levels. This goal builds upon Hasbro’s 2008 commitment to reduce non-hazardous waste by 15 percent by 2012, which it surpassed, achieving a 40 percent reduction.
- Reducing energy consumption: By end of 2020, reduce energy consumption at owned/operated facilities by 25 percent from 2012 levels. This builds upon the company’s 19 percent energy reduction through 2012 compared to 2008 baseline.
- Reducing GHG emissions: By end of 2020, reduce global Scope 1 and Scope 2 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from owned/operated facilities by 20 percent from 2012 levels. In 2008, Hasbro set a 10 percent global GHG emissions reduction goal to be achieved by 2012. The company exceeded its goal and achieved a 32 percent GHG reduction over its 2008 baseline.
- Reducing water consumption: By end of 2020, reduce water consumption from owned/operated facilities by 15 percent from 2012 levels. Hasbro achieved a 31 percent water consumption reduction, exceeding its initial commitment to reduce water use by 15 percent through 2012 compared to 2008 baseline.
In addition to these reduction goals, Hasbro continues to drive environmental improvements through its sustainable packaging initiatives, including: reducing packaging material, eliminating PVC from packaging, increasing recycled content, and sourcing paper responsibly. In recognition of Hasbro's environmental sustainability achievements, the company was recently awarded an Environmental Merit Award by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Additionally, the company reports annually to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) and is a reporting leader in the Toy Industry.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts