MONTREAL, Sept. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ - CN (TSX: CNR) (NYSE: CNI) said today its sustainability practices have earned it a place as the leader in the Transportation and Transportation Infrastructure Industry sector of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI). This is also the second consecutive year that CN has been listed on the DJSI World Index and the fifth straight year that CN has been listed on the DJSI North American Index.
The DJSI follows a best-in-class approach, surveying sustainability leaders from each industry on a global and regional level. The annual review of the DJSI family is based on a thorough analysis of economic, environmental and social performance, assessing issues such as corporate governance, risk management, branding, climate change mitigation, supply chain standards and labour practices.
Claude Mongeau, president and chief executive officer of CN, said: "We are making continuing gains in our sustainability agenda, and we are pleased that the DJSI has recognized CN as a leader in the area again this year. The DJSI World Index selects for inclusion the top 10 per cent of the 2,500 largest companies in the Dow Jones Global Total Stock Market Index from each sector based on their sustainability score. It is indeed a rare honour for CN to place first in the transportation group of the World Index.
"CN knows its long-term success is connected to our contributions to a sustainable future. We are committed to the safety of our employees, the public and the environment. CN has made environmental sustainability a strategic priority for the company, with a focus on emissions and energy efficiency, waste management, and environmental stewardship."CN leads the North American rail industry in fuel efficiency, consuming, overall, approximately 15 per cent less fuel per gross-ton-mile than the rail industry average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV