Sustained Underperformance, Executive Pay and Governance Concerns Lead To Support For Independent Board Leadership
WASHINGTON, Sept. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The country's two largest proxy advisers, ISS and Glass Lewis, have both recommended that FedEx [NYSE: FDX] shareholders support a Teamster proposal calling for an independent chairman of the board at the company's annual meeting Sept. 23. Fred Smith, the company's founder, has served as both chairman and CEO of FedEx and its predecessor entities for more than 35 years.
In its recommendation to shareholders, ISS cites the company's lackluster performance and continued practice of providing senior executives with tax gross-ups to cover the taxes an executive would incur on restricted stock awards and permitting certain pledging of company shares. Since 2009, Chairman Smith has pledged at least 22 percent of his shares in the company. ISS notes that FedEx has underperformed its global industry peers as well as the S&P 500 in total shareholder return in the 1-, 3- and 5-year periods.Over the past two years, Smith has received nearly 375,000 shares in the form of stock options valued at more than $14.6 million while the company's stock lagged behind its peers. "The FedEx board continues to lavish Fred Smith with stock options worth millions despite the company's long-term underperformance of its peers," said Ken Hall, General Secretary-Treasurer of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. "Shareholders deserve an independent chairman of the board with a vision for the future." The Corporate Library, a leader in corporate governance analysis, notes that while it is common for founders who have majority control of a company to serve as both chairman and CEO, Smith owns just 6.7 percent. "Certainly a management structure best representing the holders of the other 93 percent of shares would be more sensible."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV