5. Conquer the living room.
Wouldn't it be something if Apple not only eliminated the Microsoft Office advantage, but took the one other thing Steve Ballmer actually has going for himself, Xbox, and beat that to shreds as well.
Microsoft has done an abysmal job at marketing Xbox. With the number of units sold, it's a travesty so many people still view Xbox as a weed-smoking, I live in my parent's basement gamer's toy. It doesn't matter how many people actually use Xbox as a broad family entertainment platform; the ether doesn't see it that way. This provides an opening for Apple.
While Apple could very easily go at it on its own, it would be interesting to see it make some big acquisitions in the gaming space, both console and mobile. Zynga (ZNGA) or privately-held Kabam come to mind. Or, better yet, convince Microsoft to spin Xbox off -- as it should anyway -- and sell it to Apple.Pipe dreams. Admittedly. So make inroads in gaming -- as Apple has with 64-bit processing on iPhone 5S -- and follow through, not with a smartwatch, but with a combined Apple television set and set-top box controlled by and synced with your iPhone and/or iPad. If Apple is working with cable/satellite and content companies on anything, it shouldn't be about licensing programming. A waste of time. The talks should focus on how to work out a structure where the old media subsidizes the cost of a full-fledged Apple TV, like the wireless carriers do with iPhone, and sells them in Apple Stores and online. Protect the image. Never go cheap. Kill Microsoft. Neutralize Google. And conquer the living room. If I'm Tim Cook, these are the things on my office cork board. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV