Ciena ® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that Virgin Media Business is deploying Ciena’s converged packet optical solutions to provide Data Centre Interconnect services to Redstation, a UK data centre operator and cloud service provider. This deployment showcases how Virgin Media Business can deploy high capacity managed services to satisfy growing demands from customers like Redstation for server virtualisation, distributed storage and data backup, cloud computing and big data.
- With high-performance capacity scalable to 100G per wavelength, Virgin Media Business can grow its revenue by enabling customers such as Redstation to deliver hosted IT and cloud services to improve their end-customers’ business operations. Redstation will also be able to avoid data bottlenecks during peak traffic times, so its customers don’t need to be concerned about downtime or temporary loss of access to data.
- Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, equipped with third generation WaveLogic Coherent Optical Processors and advanced ROADM bridge features, will allow Virgin Media Business to quickly and efficiently extend 100G managed wavelength services from its network core to end customers. ROADM functionality ensures full agility for the addition and routing of new wavelengths, providing the flexibility to dial up services as needed to meet Redstation’s specific requirements.
- Virgin Media Business will also leverage Ciena’s advanced management solutions, including the OneControl Unified Management System, for simplified low-touch service management, which provides rapid service delivery, comprehensive service visualization, and robust network monitoring.
- Redstation is expected to introduce its high-capacity network in its two Hampshire-based data centres before the end of 2013.
- “Today’s businesses are becoming more reliant on cloud computing, mobile broadband and networks that support faster and more reliable data transfer between sites. With Ciena’s technology, we are able to offer high capacity services that enable Redstation to support its customers' growing demand for more bandwidth.”- Jason King, head of business partners at Virgin Media Business
- “Enterprise demand for bandwidth is increasing daily, and service providers need a flexible, scalable infrastructure in place to meet customer demand. Our OP n architecture and industry-leading packet-optical solutions give operators like Virgin Media Business the ability to modernize and monetize their networks to not only meet demand, but to quickly and cost-effectively introduce new managed services to enable cloud computing and server virtualization that help drive new business and revenue opportunities.”- Nick Walden, regional managing director, Northern Europe at Ciena
- Ciena was recently named as the worldwide leader in Optical Packet Platforms in the recent Optical Transport Quarterly Report issued by analyst firm Dell’Oro Group.
- Architected for network modernization, Ciena’s 6500 converges comprehensive Ethernet, TDM and WDM capabilities into a single platform to support cost-effective delivery of emerging and existing services—from the access edge to the backbone core.
- OPn is Ciena’s approach for building open and programmable next-generation networks with flexible architectures and service offerings, providing differentiated network operator benefits for a myriad of applications, including: wireless backhaul, data center connectivity, cloud networks and private network builds.
- Ciena is the pioneer and market leader of coherent optical technology with 27,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces shipped to over 150 customers across the globe, with more than 25 million coherent kilometers deployed.
- Product Overview: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Product Overview: OneControl Unified Management System
- Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- Video: What is Coherent Optical Networking?
- White Paper: Cloud Networking: Data Center Without Walls