NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- When I travel back and forth between Tampa Bay and the New York City area, I keep an eye on the number of trucks on the highways and like to stop along the way where the truckers do, TravelCenters of America (TA). During my last trip in mid-August, I wrote Buy TravelCenters as the Economy Improves.
TravelCenters ($8) had a strong buy rating when I thought the stock had some upside for a buy-and-trade strategy as a proxy for the transportation sector, where 72.4% of the 181 stocks are rated sell or strong sell.
TravelCenters stock closed at $7.57 on Aug. 13 and continued to move sideways to down to $7.35 on Aug. 27. The stock is in the retail-wholesale sector and is now rated buy according to ValuEngine. The 12-month forward price-to-earnings ratio remains at 7.8, and the stock trades at 71% of its book value.
The stock tested its 200-day simple moving average at $8.57 on Tuesday, up about 16% off the recent low. ValuEngine one-year price target is $8.60. My semiannual value level is $7.18 with a quarterly pivot, now a magnet at $8.04 and my semiannual risky level at $9.32.
Today I am profiling 14 stocks in the trucking industry. One is rated a strong buy, one is rated hold and 12 are rated sell. Only two are undervalued and eight are overvalued by more than 20%. Nine have gained more than 40% over the last 12 months with three of these up between 124.2% and 228.1%. Twelve-month trailing P/E ratios are elevated between 16 and 26.8. Thirteen are above their 200-day simple moving averages reflecting the risk of reversion to the mean.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV