NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- To say that Russia has so far upstaged the United States in the midst of the so-called "Syrian Crisis" would not be an overstatement.
After Secretary of State John Kerry let slip some "rhetorical" and "hypothetical" comments on how Syria could avoid a U.S. offensive attack by giving up its chemical weapons, something remarkable occurred.
At a news conference afterward in London Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov gave Kerry's idea the Old Russian bear hug. By golly within a few days Syria endorsed it and everyone who is against attacking Syria breathed a sigh of profound relief...at least for the time being.
Kerry and Lavrov will convene a conference in Geneva Thursday with hopes for progress and a chance to raise their glasses in a toast for peace. No matter what the discussion will be lively.The United States will be looking for a Russian proposal that should disclose more details about what Syrian President Bashar al-Assad may be willing to do about turning over his chemical weapons to an authority like the United Nations. All this drama serves to remind us that Russia is becoming a big player once again on the world stage. That may be the reason famed investors like Jim Rogers have begun looking at investments in Russia this year. You may recall that Rogers co-founded the legendary Quantum Fund with George Soros. It helped both men become extremely wealthy. The potential for Russian resourcefulness brought to mind an article that Dr. Steve Sjuggerud shared with his readers of his Daily Wealth in June. Sjuggerud pointed out that in Rogers' neighborhood Russian President Vladimir Putin isn't thought of with affection. Yet that hasn't quenched Rogers' interest in examining investments in Russia. "Maybe
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV