For the twelfth year in a row, Alcoa (NYSE: AA) has been named to one of the most highly recognized and longest-standing global sustainability indexes, the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes (DJSI). Alcoa was again recognized as the global aluminum industry sustainability leader and the North American leader in the aluminum sector.
“At Alcoa, sustainability is an integral part of how we do business,” said Kevin McKnight, Alcoa Environment, Health and Safety Vice President and Chief Sustainability Officer. “Whether it’s improving the energy efficiency of our primary aluminum business, making cars and airplanes more fuel efficient, or continuing to innovate aluminum food and beverage packaging, sustainability guides everything we do. Alcoa is honored to be named to these highly esteemed sustainability indexes for the past 12 years.”
Highlights of Alcoa’s industry-leading sustainability performance include:
- Economic: Continued to integrate sustainability metrics into our supplier assessment process to drive a more sustainable supply chain.
- Environmental: Achieved a 23.2% reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) intensity between 2005 and 2012, making significant progress toward achieving Alcoa’s 2020 goal of a 30% reduction.
- Social: Alcoa Foundation contributed US$21.5 million to environmental, educational and community programs in 2012, and a record 60% of Alcoa employees volunteered in their communities during Alcoa’s 2012 Worldwide Month of Service.
To learn more about the company’s approach to sustainability, read Alcoa's 2012 Corporate Sustainability Report and reports from Alcoa regions worldwide.About Alcoa Alcoa is the world’s leading producer of primary and fabricated aluminum, as well as the world’s largest miner of bauxite and refiner of alumina. In addition to inventing the modern-day aluminum industry, Alcoa innovation has been behind major milestones in the aerospace, automotive, packaging, building and construction, commercial transportation, consumer electronics and industrial markets over the past 125 years. Among the solutions Alcoa markets are flat-rolled products, hard alloy extrusions, and forgings, as well as Alcoa® wheels, fastening systems, precision and investment castings, and building systems in addition to its expertise in other light metals such as titanium and nickel-based super alloys. Sustainability is an integral part of Alcoa’s operating practices and the product design and engineering it provides to customers. Alcoa has been a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for 12 consecutive years and approximately 75 percent of all of the aluminum ever produced since 1888 is still in active use today. Alcoa employs approximately 61,000 people in 30 countries across the world. For more information, visit www.alcoa.com, follow @Alcoa on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Alcoa and follow Alcoa on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Alcoa. About the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes (DJSI) The Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes track the stocks of global, regional and country industry leaders in terms of sustainability. The Dow Jones Sustainability North American Index (DSJI North America) tracks the performance of the top 20 percent of the 600 largest companies in the United States and Canada. The Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI World) includes the top 10 percent of the 2,500 largest companies in the Dow Jones Global Total Stock Market Index. Selection is based on an in-depth analysis of a company’s economic, environmental and social criteria, with a focus on industry-specific risks and opportunities. The indexes serve as benchmarks for investors when assessing a company’s sustainability portfolio. For more information: http://www.sustainability-indices.com/
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV