Stock Futures Cautious on Jobless Claims as Pandora, Yahoo Gain
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - U.S. stock futures were little changed Thursday morning ahead of U.S. jobs data expected to be announced by mid-morning.
Weekly jobless claims for the week ended Sept. 7 fell by 31,000 to 292,000, the Labor Department reported in data released in Washington. Economists polled by Thomson Reuters were expecting claims to rise slightly to 330,000, up from the prior week's 323,000. Economists are also expecting a 0.1% month-over-month export increase and a 0.5% import increase.
In company news, Pandora (P) was surging 6.6% to $22.80 a day after the online music streaming service named Brian McAndrews its CEO and president, effective immediately.Yahoo! (YHOO) was gaining 1.5% to 422.64 after CEO Marissa Mayer said Wednesday that the Internet portal has about 800 million worldwide users, a 20% increase since she took control of the company 15 months ago. Dell (DELL) will finally vote on Thursday for the $24.8 billion deal that would allow founder Michael Dell to take the company private. Investors who have followed the company's timeline know that Dell and billionaire investor Carl Icahn have wrestled for months in an attempt to take the company off the public markets and offer shareholders a sweet deal. Analysts suggest that Michael Dell will win the vote as Icahn finally stepped away from the bargaining table. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV