RBC offers advice for a healthy travel rewards relationship
TORONTO, Sept. 12, 2013 /CNW/ - Do you feel restricted, confused or neglected in your travel rewards relationship? The good news is you are not alone. When it comes to booking travel, more than half (56 per cent) of Canadians say their current travel rewards program does not allow them to travel on any airline they choose, according to a recent RBC poll.
"Like any relationship, Canadians want to get the most out of their loyalty program, particularly when it comes to travel rewards," said Linda Mantia, executive vice-president, Cards and Payment Solutions, RBC. "Booking travel with rewards points doesn't have to be complicated. If your current rewards program isn't working for you, maybe it's time to consider moving on."
In their current travel rewards relationship, Canadians have also indicated their rewards program is confusing (39 per cent), the rules of the program seem to keep changing (38 per cent), and they have had difficulty redeeming points (31 per cent). For any Canadian that may suffer from any of these relationship blues, it may be time to find a new travel rewards card to have and to hold.Mantia suggests considering the following when determining if you are in a healthy travel rewards relationship:
- Check for travel restrictions - When booking travel, do you have the freedom to redeem your points for any airline? Many programs don't provide airline choice, which can make it hard to get where you want on the airline, the flight, or the day you want.
- Look for freedom, flexibility and choice - Are there restrictions on flying during peak season? You should have the flexibility to travel when and where you want without having to use more points or change dates.
- Not all points are created equal - Does the value of your points fluctuate? Look for a program that has an easy-to-understand points system, points that are easy to redeem through a simple and intuitive redemption experience.
- Maximize rewards points access and utility - Does your rewards program let you redeem your points when and how you want? Ease of redeeming, together with more options to redeem for travel or retail rewards, will lead to greater flexibility in customizing your travel and retail experiences.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV