Third-best back-to-school car: 2014 Chevrolet Sonic
Base price: $14,170
The Sonic is one of the lowest-priced cars on KBB's top-five list, but Allan says it's still "a surprisingly good, fun little car. It starts at under $15,000, yet it drives really well."
Available from General Motors (GM) as a sedan or hatchback, the Chevy combines an impressive amount of interior space with good road performance.The base model's manual transmission and 138-horsepower four-cylinder engine get a solid 26 mpg/city and 35 mpg/highway (an optional automatic transmission lowers city-driving efficiency by 1 mpg). There's also an available 138-horsepower turbocharged engine that boosts fuel economy to 29 mpg/city and 40 mpg/highway with a manual transmission or 27 mpg/city and 37 mpg/highway with an automatic. Standard electronics include Bluetooth phone connectivity and General Motors' OnStar emergency-contact system. Higher trim lines also offer satellite radio, smart-phone and iPod connectivity and Chevrolet's MyLink touchscreen stereo system.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV