Fourth-best back-to-school car: 2013 Mazda Mazda3
Base price: $16,700 ($16,945 for a 2014)
KBB editors give a big thumbs up to both the 2013 Mazda3 and a redesigned 2014 version that's hitting Mazda dealers' showrooms now.
"Whether you get a 2013 or a 2014, the Mazda3 is really a standout in the under-$20,000 category," Allan says. "We really like its looks -- and more importantly, it's just so much fun to drive."The base 2013 Mazda3 hatchback comes standard with manual transmission and a 148-horsepower four-cylinder engine that team up to produce 25 mpg/city and 33 mpg/highway. (An automatic-transmission base Mazda3 gets 1 mpg worse efficiency in the city.) If you choose a 2014, the base hatchback comes standard with manual transmission and a 155-horsepower engine that produce 29 mpg/city and 40 mpg/highway. But unlike the 2013, the base 2014's optional automatic transmission adds rather than subtracts 1 mpg to city-driving efficiency.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV