BOSTON (MainStreet) -- Another academic year has begun, and if you (or your child) need a good set of wheels for college or high school, here's a look at Kelley Blue Book's five top picks for Best 2013 Back-to-School Cars.
KBB editors compiled the list by looking at all available 2013 and '14 models starting at $20,000 or less, then choosing the cars they believe offer the best combinations of style, safety and other qualities key to young drivers.
"These models are all affordable and have good fuel economy -- and they have good cabin technology, which is that's obviously important to [the younger] generation," KBB Managing Editor Jason Allan says. "We also know that young people want to drive something that looks cool, or at least semi-cool."
Allan says most cars at the top of KBB's list have hatchback versions available, "which means you can pretty much move an entire dorm room in what are otherwise small cars."He adds that all of KBB's top picks have some trim lines that offer 40 miles per gallon or more on the highway, making them great choices for students with little gas money. Click below to check out KBB's choices for the best back-to-school vehicles available among 2013 models or those 2014s already on dealers' lots. All dollar figures refer to the manufacturer's suggested retail prices for each car's base version.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV