To that end, disregarding profits for a "grow at all cost" mentality may one day prove to be a regrettable decision. It has made fools out of a lot of investors. I'm not suggesting that Workday will go belly-up next month. But the excitement, in my opinion, is a bit exaggerated. I make no apologies for raising valuation concerns on any company absent the necessary profits to support the stock price.
This is not a situation where I'm just being overly critical on Workday. From my vantage point, there are much better value plays out there, and with stronger profitability. Although management has talked down the company's head-to-head battle with NetSuite (N) in the financial and ERP (enterprise resource planning) markets, I believe NetSuite presents the better value, especially given that NetSuite has begun to differentiate in to other end-markets.
Another issue that is worth considering is how well Workday management can deal with the company's level of growth.
Yes, it's a great problem to have. But it also introduces many more complexities for which management may be unprepared, such as demands on new technology, workforce and, let's not forget, operational cash flow.So far, the company is handling the situation well. But as noted, for the price the Street is willing to pay for this growth, there is no margin for error. It would serve the stock well if it were to take a couple of days off. At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV