How Many Billionaires Are There in the World?
By Hal M. Bundrick
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- The wealthiest people in the world didn't come by their vast riches through inheritances; they made their money the old-fashioned way: they earned it. Nearly two thirds (65%) of mega-millionaires say their money was self-made, according to the 2013 Wealth-X and UBS World Ultra Wealth Report.
Global wealth is at an all-time high, with 199,235 individuals accounting for a combined fortune of nearly $28 trillion, up 6% in population size from the previous year and adding $2 trillion to their combined wealth - a value greater than the gross domestic product of India.
More than 2,000 billionaires claim a total net worth of $6.5 trillion, representing nearly one-quarter (23%) of the world's ultra high net worth (UHNW) total wealth. The report defines UHNW individuals as those with total net assets of $30 million and above.Asia rebounded from last year's contraction, when there were 42,895 UHNW individuals in the region. As of 2013, there are 44,505 UHNW individuals in Asia with a combined wealth of $6.5 trillion, an increase of 5.4% from the previous year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV