NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After receiving your share of bloody and painful misses catching falling knives, you may be ready to buy strength instead of weakness. Value investing doesn't mean you have to buy stocks in the doghouse waiting to become in favor again, the following stocks are trending higher for one simple reason -- they're in demand.
Stocks making new yearly highs often include an extra dose of volatility. Be sure to use stop losses and move them up as the stock moves higher. You lock in your gains and you can let the market work for you while keeping one eye on the way out.
Nvidia (NVDA)Background: Nvidia designs, develops and markets a 'top-to-bottom' family of award-winning 3-D graphics processors and graphics processing units. Nvidia trades an average of 8.3 million shares per day with a marketcap of $8.9 billion. 52-Week High: $15.48 Beta: 1.35 Price to Book: 2.10 Nvidia's increasing revenue and earnings have brought the dividend payout ratio down to 25%. Most high-flying tech companies don't pay a dividend, and if they do, it's not much of one. Near 2%, Nvidia's dividend doesn't stand out until you consider the shares are near multi-year highs. Since my earnings estimation and Nvidia delivering the goods, the shares have increased over 12%. Of the three main competitors in the space, Nvidia and Qualcomm (QCOM) currently stand out the most because they are both near 52-week highs. It's a mistake to count Intel (INTC) out, though, and all three are buys here. I like Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), but given the choice of Intel, Nvidia, or Qualcomm as options, there isn't much reason to select AMD. NVDA Net Income Quarterly data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV