Apple (AAPL) has been the one exception to buying pressure this week. The $430 billion tech giant got shellacked after announcing its new iPhone models on Tuesday, down more than 5% in yesterday's session as sellers logjammed orders into the market. But risk takers could have a big buying opportunity on their hands this week.
In the short-term, Apple was forming a double top, a bearish pattern formed by two swing highs that stall out at approximately the same price level. The sell signal happened quickly - it triggered when AAPL gapped down below $490 yesterday morning, giving few traders a chance to act. But what's important is that Apple almost immediately found its downside price objective at $468, a level right above a key support level at $460. In other words, this giant hated stock looks likely to bounce here.
Whenever you're looking at any technical price pattern, it's critical to think in terms of buyers and sellers. Triangles, double tops, and other price pattern names are a good quick way to explain what's going on in this stock, but they're not the reason it's tradable -- instead, it all comes down to supply and demand for shares.That support line at $460, for example, is a price where there is an excess of demand for shares; in other words, it's a place where buyers have been more eager step in and buy shares at lower levels than sellers have been sell. If AAPL holds $460, then buying the bounce becomes a much lower risk proposition. Just keep a tight stop in place.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV