NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Mortgage rates are rising after being historically low, and this has continued to weigh on mortgage applications, TheStreet's Shanthi Bharatwaj told Brittany Umar.
Mortgage rates hit the highest levels of the year and, as most would expect, have negatively affected applications. Bharatwaj said the quick plunge shows the unwillingness of buyers to shop for homes and to refinance -- a business that is much more rate-sensitive.
Another problem, she added: There aren't enough homes for sale either.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV