Now, banks do not make money carrying homes. None of them do. Homes are extremely costly to maintain, and there's also a terrible legal cost to the process. But what matters is the ease with which these homes can now be sold, and they can now be sold with no problems, and at much higher prices than what banks had thought possible even a year ago. If there is an adjustment in the consumer's thinking about how rates aren't going to go down much more, and if they're now thinking it is time to buy, then you are going to see better numbers on mortgages in 2014. At the same time, you will also see much better reserve reversals that will continue to add to the bottom line.
I think that's the story: bad loans going to good, simultaneous with the possibility of a stronger economy actually generating some loan growth away from mortgages.
It makes sense. Or, at least, it gives you some rationale for the strength of a group that realistically should be coming down because the earnings might not be coming through.
Random musings: Sure, like everyone else, I was disappointed with Apple's (AAPL) offerings. Turns out, once again, Intel (INTC) should have just bought ARM Holdings (ARMH) -- the real winner in yesterday's announcements.At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, was long WFC and AAPL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV