LIVONIA, Mich., Sept. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Valassis (NYSE: VCI), a leader in intelligent media delivery, announced today the results of its Sixth Annual RedPlum® Purse String Survey that provides greater insight into millennials and their shopping behaviors that rely more heavily on print than you might expect.
With newspaper as their number one source for coupons and deals, these promotion-sensitive millennials are getting their savings the same way as all other consumers across age groups and income levels with 51 percent indicating this print source is their first choice for savings. The top five places all respondents most often get their coupons and deals from are the newspaper; emails/coupon alerts; Internet searches; mailbox; and retail circulars. For millennials, in-store exceeds their use of retail circulars by 4 percentage points to rank fifth. From print sources, millennials get their deals:
- 33 percent from the mail;
- 21 percent from retail circulars; and
- 20 percent from coupon books.
This doesn't mean, though, that this digitally-charged, on-the-go generation is walking away from digital savings. In fact, they are leading the digital trend. Over the last 12 months, 27 percent of millennials indicated they are using more mobile coupons compared to 17 percent of the overall findings. Millennials actually are using their smartphone to a greater degree than the general population:
- 45 percent access a coupon in an email on their smartphone compared to 24 percent of all respondents;
- 41 percent access a coupon code on their smartphone versus 24 percent;
- 36 percent compare deals versus 20 percent; and
- 32 percent download a coupon to a loyalty card compared to 20 percent.
- Word of mouth – 71 percent versus 56 percent of the general populace;
- Social – 43 percent versus 29 percent with Facebook as their channel of choice accounting for 33 percent of their social sharing, 10 percent higher than overall findings; and
- Text – 30 percent versus 19 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV