Women overwhelmingly chose price over prestige when choosing a college, as affordability is their biggest barrier to achieving a college degree, according to a new national survey by Western International University® (West). The survey also found by a margin of more than three-to-one that women see online degrees as more achievable than traditional on-ground programs.
In addition, women aren’t just pursuing degrees to make more money, but rather as a badge of personal achievement. When given reasons for continuing their education, 97 percent chose accomplishing a personal goal as very or somewhat important while 89 percent noted it would be very or somewhat important to earn more money in their field.
The West Start Smart SM Study, which was conducted in July, surveyed women age 22-50 with an interest in continuing education, to gather insight into their thoughts about higher education and the motivators and barriers they face to earning a degree. Currently only about one-third of U.S. adults over the age of 25 have a college degree.*
The Lure of a College Degree Remains StrongWhile the survey found that tuition costs and a lack of time are two main barriers for women wanting to earn a college degree, a majority of those surveyed have a desire to go back to school because they see the overall value of a college education. Interesting results include:
- 94 percent believe attaining a college degree would positively impact their lives.
- 83 percent believe a college degree is important to being a good role model.
- 88 percent are likely to pursue a college degree in the next 5-10 years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV