Additionally, the Energy Information Administration reported that crude oil inventories dipped 200,000 barrels, while gasoline and distillates added 1.7 million and 2.6 million barrels, respectively. Cindy Wexler, an independent trader at the New York Mercantile Exchange, said in an interview that in the oil trade the petroleum status report was a secondary factor to the situation involving Syria.
West Texas Intermediate light sweet crude at the NYMEX closed higher for the first time this trading week as the October contract rose 17 cents to settle at $107.56 a barrel for the October contract. Energy stocks Newfield Exploration (NFX) and WPX Energy (WPX) were the top two gainers on the S&P, rising 7.5% and 4.7%, respectively.
Verizon (VZ) will sell as much as $49 billion worth of bonds to raise the funds needed to buy Vodafone (VOD) from their Verizon Wireless joint venture, The Wall Street Journal reported. Shares closed incrementally higher at $46.52.
Texas Instruments (TXN) narrowed its earnings guidance for the third quarter. The chipmaker said Tuesday that it expects to earn between 51 cents and 55 cents a share in the quarter, which was lower than the previous guidance of 49 cents to 57 cents a share. Analysts have predicted earnings of 53 cents a share. Company shares dropped 0.69% to $40.03.Investors appeared to absorb President Barack Obama's nationwide address Tuesday night on Syria in which he proposed a diplomatic solution with Russia's aid to seize Syria's chemical weapons arsenal thereby avoiding a military intervention in the Middle Eastern nation. Obama did reiterate that, if necessary, a limited targeted strike could be used to achieve a clear goal: "deterring the use of chemical weapons and degrading Assad's capabilities." "The Syria address last night by the president, I think, just no surprised there
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV