NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Major U.S. stocks indices headed in different directions Wednesday as investor disappointment in Apple's (AAPL) latest iPhone dampened the Nasdaq while gains by IBM (IBM) boosted the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
The tech-heavy Nasdaq dropped 0.11% to 3,725.01 as Apple shares plummeted 5.4% to $467.83.
Tech companies were boosting the blue-chip index as Microsoft (MSFT) added 1.1% to $32.75 and United Technologies (UTX) added 1.5% to $107.83. But IBM was the top Dow gainer as shares surged 2.2% to $190.70 after the company known as Big Blue said it will sell its customer-care outsourcing business to Synnex Corp. (SNX) for $505 million. Synnex was popped 20.1% to $57.59.Apple (AAPL)'s decline came a day after the iPhone maker presented two new iPhones that failed to excite investors. One is the iPhone 5C, a unit to be priced as low as $99, while the second unit, the iPhone 5S is an upgrade that adds "Touch ID," a fingerprint sensor built into the home button. Overnight, Apple gained a license from China Mobile to begin launching iPhones for the first time on the Asian nation's largest wireless network. Credit Suisse on Wednesday downgraded Apple to "Neutral" from "Outperform" as analyst Kulbinder Garcha but his 12-month target price to $525 a share. Apple was the worst performer in the S&P 500. In economic news, the U.S. Census Bureau reported Wednesday that wholesale inventories for July rose 0.1%, which was a boost from the June reading of a 0.2% drop, but missed expectations among economists polled by Thomson Reuters who were expecting July inventories to have risen 0.3%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV