During the presentation, Phil Schiller, senior vice president of marketing, announced that Apple is teaming with Nike (NKE) on more fitness app capabilities. We can expect to hear more about this (iWatch anyone?) in the coming months, as Apple makes health and fitness a priority.
The camera software was talked up, almost ad nauseam, as people continue to rely on their smartphones to take pictures. Apple's all new camera system has a 15% larger active area on the sensor, with bigger pixels, allowing for more light. Not only will the pictures have the right flash, but the new camera app takes multiple pictures at once, with Burst mode taking 10 frames per second, which hadn't happened before.
The iPhone 5s, which comes in gold, white and black, and starts at $199 for the 16 GB model from all the carriers, is now the gold standard (to borrow a phrase from Apple) in smartphones.
Apple was exceptionally smart in not allowing the 5s to be pre-ordered online (the 5c can be pre-ordered online starting Sept. 13), which will allow for exceptionally long lines and a gangbusters opening weekend. The iPhone 5s is innovative, despite what Wall Street thinks in the short-term.I can't wait to see what the opening weekend looks like now, and what Apple has in store for years to come. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in San Francisco >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV