The move lifted UMB's share count by 11%, while lifting tangible common equity as a percentage of total assets to 7.7% from 6.4%, according to a report from Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, which has a "market perform" on the stock.
"We were surprised to see UMBF announce not only a capital raise, but also a raise of this magnitude," the report stated, adding the move "provides ample runway for organic growth to continue." The analysts also see a chance UMB will use the additional capital to make an acquisition.
"We see the shares as fairly valued, but also can understand the bull case scenario on UMBF as every 1pt improvement in the efficiency ratio adds ~$0.20/share to our 2015E," KBW writes. KBW has a $54 price target on the shares, which were set to drop 2.49% to $53.99 about 20 minutes before Wednesday's market open.-- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV