NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- This is my fourth installment of articles covering the housing market and banking system based upon the FDIC Quarterly Banking Profile for the second quarter of 2013, ValuEngine data, technical analysis and my proprietary analytics.
On Monday I wrote, JP Morgan Upgraded As Banking System Heals where I summarized the evolution of the housing bubble and how the bursting of the bubble created toxic assets throughout the banking system resulting in the Great Credit Crunch. In this post I profiled the four 'too big to fail' money center banks.
Also on Monday I wrote, Housing Bubble Is Re-inflatingwhere I explained how the homebuilders led the 2013 stock market rally into May 20 and have since lagged as home prices and mortgage rates moved higher. I profiled the 11 homebuilder stocks and today DR Horton (DHI), M/I Homes (MHO), PulteGroup (PHM) and Toll Brothers (TOL) have been downgraded to sell from hold according to www.ValuEngine.com.
On Tuesday I wrote, Bank Earnings Rise, but Not Real Estate Lending where I sliced and diced the real estate related assets shown in the FDIC Quarterly Banking Profile. The banking system may appear healthier on the surface, but crunch issues remain such as; a decline of $1.8 billion in interest income, and a negative mark-to-market of $51.1 billion on fixed income securities in holdings classified as 'available for sale' securities.Since the end of 2007, other real estate owned is up 168.6% at $32.6 billion. Reserves for losses are elevated by 46.5% at $149 billion. And, noncurrent loans are up 117.7% at $239.3 billion. (BAC), JPMorgan (JPM) and Wells Fargo (WFC) are experiencing reduced demand for mortgages as mortgage rates rise.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV