FORT WORTH, Texas, Sept. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- National Weather Preparedness Month is the perfect time to make sure your home is ready for emergencies. As the most convenient and comprehensive weather prep resource for thousands of neighborhoods nationwide, RadioShack recommends the following five tips to minimize the impact of bad weather:
- Make sure everyone in your family or workplace knows the escape routes and the best place to take shelter.
- Make sure your emergency kit contains enough fresh water and non-perishable foods to last 3-5 days per person. Also include a can opener, first aid kit, flashlights and extra batteries. It is a good idea to refresh your flashlight and portable radio batteries once a year.
- Since power may go out, consider keeping a hand-crank battery operated radio on hand. Weather radios with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather bands, the organization responsible for issuing warnings during life-threatening weather situations, can give you as much as eight minutes lead time.
- Protect your electronics by plugging them into a surge protector or unplugging them when power outages and surges are likely.
- Cell phones are often lifelines to the outside world in an emergency, especially since texts and data may be able to get through when phone calls can't.
- Keep those lifelines online with backup power such as portable power banks or solar chargers.
- Your car battery can also provide backup power with a car charger – or a power inverter for larger items like laptops.
Your local RadioShack and RadioShack.com carry everything you need with one of the largest weather and emergency radio assortments available. Associates are also standing by to help you pick the right products to protect your electronics and keep you connected. In fact, through August of this year with the help of our customers, RadioShack has raised more than $450,000 in donations to the American Red Cross directly benefitting communities impacted by tornados. Disasters can strike at any time and providing assistance to those in need is important to our associates and our neighborhoods.
RadioShack encourages local customers to closely follow their local emergency response directions, including evacuation orders. For a complete emergency preparedness guide, download the FEMA/American Red Cross checklist at ready.gov/build-a-kit or learn more at redcross.org.
For more tips on how technology can help, visit RadioShack's Weather Prep Center and download your free Severe Weather & Emergency Preparedness Checklist today.Media Note: To interview a local representative to help your community prepare for emergencies, submit your request to Media.Relations@RadioShack.com. About RadioShack CorporationRadioShack (NYSE: RSH) is a leading national retailer of innovative mobile technology products and services, as well as products related to personal and home technology and power supply needs. RadioShack ® offers consumers a targeted assortment of wireless phones and other electronic products and services from leading national brands, exclusive private brands and major wireless carriers, all within a comfortable and convenient shopping environment. RadioShack employs approximately 30,000 knowledgeable and helpful sales experts globally. RadioShack's retail network includes more than 4,300 company-operated stores in the United States, 270 company-operated stores in Mexico, and approximately 1,000 dealer and other outlets worldwide. For more information on RadioShack Corporation, please visit www.radioshackcorporation.com; to purchase items online, please visit www.radioshack.com. RadioShack ® is a registered trademark licensed by RadioShack Corporation. News Media Contact: Media Relations, +1-817-415-3300, Media.Relations@RadioShack.com (Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130716/LA47690LOGO) SOURCE RadioShack Corporation